The provision of high quality, funded childcare for 2-3 year olds is integral to the Flying Start Programme.
Quality childcare contributes to the acquisition of skills such as socialisation and the ability to play and concentrate. These are crucial, not only to a child’s subsequent ability to learn, but also to participate effectively in groups.
A focus on high quality provision should therefore underpin all aspects of Flying Start childcare. Flying Start childcare should not only aim to be of the highest quality, but should strive to be the benchmark for quality childcare throughout Wales.
The combination of high quality people providing care in a high quality environment will lead to a high quality experience for the child. The experience will help provide the foundations on which all future development will be built.
- Each childcare setting encourage children to partake in brushing their teeth daily with a fluoride toothpaste to reduce the levels of tooth decay during the daily routine of the setting in line with ORAL HEALTH (Designed to Smile).
- Each childcare setting are encouraged to use the Food and Nutrition Guidance as directed by Welsh Government in relation to ‘Best Practice guidance for food and nutrition for childcare settings’ with accompanying examples of menus and recipes. The settings menu is available on request. The guidance is being delivered as part of the Welsh Government planned healthy weight: healthy Wales strategy. Food and Nutrition in Childcare Settings
- Each setting implements the Welsh Government guidance in relation to encouraging child development through play based activities and promotes school readiness.
Flying Start internally manage 3 Local Authority Venues:
The Flying Start staff will deliver high quality play and learning opportunities through a wide range of activities.
All staff will hold the appropriate Childcare qualifications in accordance with Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) requirements for those working within a childcare.
Each childcare setting aim to promote to the following aims:
- Provide a safe and stimulating environment in which children can learn and grow.
- Offer a wide range of indoor and outdoor play activities in line with a high quality environment.
- Provide a service which supports and safeguards children.
- Support children who require additional support.
- Create an environment in which each individual child feels valued.
- Work in partnership with parents/carers in an open and honest way.